Friday, April 8, 2016

Peace on EARTH (day)

Those of you who have followed us over the years know that we have a special place in our hearts for EARTH DAY.



So our EARTH DAY prompt each year has been all about RECYCLING ... and we'd like you to create a holiday card that features re-cycled, re-used or up-cycled elements.  You know you've got that stash of things that you saved because they were just too pretty to throw away ... break them out and create with them.

In the past we've used everything from Kleenex Boxes & Soda Cans to Gift Wrap and we *always* have a lot of fun making our own cards and admiring yours! Something you may not know is that this prompt was suggested in the very first April of our Jingle Belles adventure, by the wonderful and talented Kathe Deck, who has jingled along with us since the very beginning, so it seemed only right to ask her back as our lovely guest star once again, and we thank her for joining us this fortnight!

Here's what we recycled this year:


Kathe says, "I made this card using tissue wrap from a Christmas gift given to me by a friend in 2014. I used the same tissue for a card I made in January 2015, and I remembered to send the card to the friend who gave the original gift. This year I added a snowflake medallion cut from a Christmas card; I think it was one of the business-to-business cards I brought home from work."


Stephanie says, "In case you didn't know, Lauren is the best present wrapper ever.  When I got a little box wrapped in this gorgeous wood bark paper, I removed it extra-carefully so I could recycle it for a rustic holiday card.  The paper was so pretty, all I had to add were a few vintage chipboard pieces for my design."

(To which Lauren replies, "Thank you" and blushes a bit!)


Lauren says, "My mom is also a pretty great present-wrapper, and gold paper in the background here is giftwrap from one of my xmas gifts from her; it was fairly thin so I smoothed it out and Xyroned it onto some plain white cardstock to make it a little sturdier. The mat behind that cool vintage-style Santa illustration is a bit of packaging from the yummy blue burlap ponsettias! The leafy gold thing is actually a vintage applique for sewing; it's HEAVY and needed quite a few gluedots to secure, but I absolutely fell in love with it, even before I realized how perfectly it coordinated with the gorgeous Eyelet Outlet Glitter Gold Washi Tape that makes me swoon every time I use it!"


And now it's your turn to create a little re-used, re-cycled or up-cycled EARTH DAY magic on your holiday cards! Link them up here by 6pm (EST) on Wednesday, April 20th. Keyword for galleries or Flickr is JB:16:08.

2 comments:

Barbara Godden said...

All three cards are fabulous, from all the inspiration I need to try this challenge.

LeAnne said...

Wow, these cards are amazing! I am sure I can find something to recycle in my ever-growing stash!